Mazotos today is a quiet community, in easy reach of Larnaca and the international airport to the East, Limassol to the West and Nicosia to the North. Good metalled roads provide quick access to the motorway network for longer journeys.
There have been settlements in the area since at least Roman times (58BC) and the road from Larnaca towards Zyyi is believed to be laid over a Roman road. In 747AD history tells us that the Byzantine Forces from Kitium and Amathus defeated a large Arab force off the coast at Mazotos when 13 Arab ships were sunk.
It was probably about this time that the various settlements in the area decided to amalgamate and move inland to avoid the unwelcome attentions of pirate ships marauding along the coast of Cyprus. The name 'Mazotos' may perhaps derive from this 'collecting together' the Greek word is 'Mazevma'. Another version of the origin of the name is the Greek word for Breast - 'Mastos' likened to 2 hills of that shape in the area! This is reflected in the village 'Logo'
In Lusignan times (1192 - 1475) Mazotos became a district with territory extending inland to Lefkara and its own District Officer resident in the town. Its importance was based on its harbour (now long gone) and trade with other settlements along the coast.
Today the village is a small dormitory town for Larnaca but with a significant local market garden activity growing Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Melons etc. There are still some families who keep flocks of sheep and goats & produce local cheeses including a very good Halloumi. The setting is very attractive and the winter population more than doubles in the summer months with visitors from the big towns and abroad. It is interesting to reflect that there are probably more than twice as many Mazatonians living overseas as there are living in the village.
The 'Kinotarkis' or community council is led by its President who is currently Marios Dimitriou. His predecessor, George Hailis was in post for 35 years and retired at the end of 2001. Elections to the village council are held every 5 years
Religious life is led by the village priest who presides over the 3 village churches.
The small church of Panayia Petounda (St Mary) on the coast is probably built on the site of an ancient temple to Aphrodite.
The Church of St George in the centre of the village is home to the Icon of St Xenophon. This was brought to the village in 1821 by a resident called Hadjidimetris. The Saint is reputed to have said to him in a dream to go to the Karpas peninsular and bring the icon to Mazotos. After various adventures he discovered the Icon, buried - but marked by a miraculous pillar of fire. When the Icon came to Mazotos it was felt to be blessed by the Saint and was credited with many miraculous cures. Today the Icon is paraded on feast days and is still believed to have healing powers.
The church of St Xenophon is to the East of the village where the old, small church has been supplemented by a much larger new building
Enter your text here by clicking the edit text button